"Of soup and love, the first is best."
Spanish Proverb

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sweet Ginger Zucchini Cake with Lemon-Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting

I love friends with gardens, especially when they share. My friend Christie gifted me with two beautiful zucchinis, so it was either something healthy or cake, and presented with the option, I always, always go for cake. Most zucchini cakes call for chocolate, but I didn't want to hide the zucchini, so I tried this trio of flavors and I think it worked. It's an easy, one-bowl cake and perfect for those summer picnics, or breakfast. I love cake for breakfast.
Sweet Ginger Zucchini Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Vegetable Oil
3 whole Eggs
3 tsp. Fresh Ginger Root, peeled and finely grated* (I just pull it out of the freezer and use my micro plane grater)
zest of one Lemon
juice of 1/2 Lemon
2 cups All-purpose Flour
½ teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 cups zucchini, grated (about one medium zucchini)
Preparation Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Mix together the sugar, oil, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and ginger in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gently fold together, and then add zucchini and mix well. Pour into a greased sheet cake pan or 9 x 13 Pyrex and bake at 350* until done, 25 minutes for the sheet cake to 35 minutes for the 9x13, depending on the pan you use. Cool completely.

Lemon-Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 stick Butter, softened
1 8 oz. package Cream Cheese
1 pound Powdered Sugar
juice of 1/2 Lemon
2 tsp. Fresh Ginger Root, finely grated
2-4 Tbl. Milk or Cream
1 cup Pecans, finely chopped, optional (I opted out)
Preparation Instructions:
In large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar, lemon juice, ginger and blend until smooth. Add milk or cream until you reach desired creaminess. Spread on cooled cake.
*If you're a big fan of ginger, by all means, add more ginger. I just wanted a tease of it.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

This was smack-me-on-the-fanny-and-call-me-Judy good! We just finished the last of it tonight. Thanks for sharing!