"Of soup and love, the first is best."
Spanish Proverb

Monday, March 30, 2009

Homemade Tortillas

The empty pot at the end of the month often challenges my ability to stretch what little is left in the cupboards and fridge. It so happens that I had leftover sweet pork salad fixings, but no tortillas, and I had promised not to go to the store unless it was absolutely necessary. So, I rolled these babies out myself. Easy and so, so much better than store-bought. Will make again.

Homemade Tortillas
3 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cups white and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbl. vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups warm water
In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients until combined. Make a well in the middle with your hand and pour in wet ingredients. Mix with a large wooden spoon or your hands until a soft ball forms. Knead 3-5 minutes until smoothish. Cover with a towel and let sit 5-10 minutes. Make small balls in the palm of your hand (smaller for taco size and larger for burrito size) and roll out on a lightly-floured surface with a lightly-floured rolling pin. Bake on a large, greased (Pam or butter) skillet or frying pan, about 3 minutes on each side until slightly golden. Hopefully a helpful image.

2 comments:

eNJay & B said...

i've never had much luck with tortillas, but perhaps i'll give it a go again. thanks for this recipe.

Jules said...

Yum! I'm totally going to try these. Although, I did just discover they have homemade tortillas in the bakery section of Whole Foods...